The rapid and strong growth of bars, restaurants, corporate and social events, as well as other businesses related to the sale of wine, make 2023 the best time to consider new proposals and work on the identity and design of one of the beverages with the highest consumption worldwide.
The importance of details on wine bottle labels
As we saw previously in the article “Top 5 2023 U.S. Alcohol Trends”, consumers of alcoholic beverages demand more and more information on bottle labels due to different factors, while the industry must also comply with certain regulations established in some countries. Let’s deep dive into this!
- Differentiation through a commercial brand: Labels are information communicators that help in the purchase process and are important reference points for a brand and the quality of a product, in this case, a bottle of wine. At present, there are different regulations that help protect it and regulate the information contained, such as the trademark sign (Trademark or ™ in English). This is used to inform that a trademark is already registered and in use, and protects it thanks to intellectual property laws.
- Different behaviors in consumers according to their region: While many consumers are open to tasting and learning about new products, in the Central American markets something totally different is happening. In this region, buyers are loyal to products with classic labels and brands already positioned in the market. The latter is due to the fact that they are people who travel frequently to the United States and when they return to their country, they prefer to buy products that are established in the North American market and are common in the gondolas of their stores.
- E-commerce of wine: Due to the explosive increase in online sales caused by the pandemic, the wine industry faces an incredible opportunity for growth, approach to new generations and customer loyalty. On the other hand, there is another group of more detailed buyers who spend more time searching for information about the product they wish to purchase. These individuals, the ones who recognize their favorite bottles thanks to their labeling, seem to show great importance in knowing if that label is present in different countries in their region and even other continents, since this specific factor generates trust and loyalty towards a brand.
- The importance of QR codes: Without a doubt, its boom was during the pandemic, since in that instance a simpler and friendlier method was sought to verify safe-conduct. Currently, they are used daily in restaurants and bars to present their menu. Using them to communicate marketing campaigns or simply direct to a website through a tag is completely valid and effective. Something more creative is what is done by “19 Crimes”, who have gone a step further by implementing augmented reality in their labels, which when scanned with a smartphone, come to life and reveal the story of a well-known British convict.
- Buyers look for relevant information: Depending on the occasion and the personal tastes of each person, labels and back labels are key to characterizing a wine, detailing relevant information, such as: origin, grape variety, type of wine (red, white, rosé, sparkling, etc. ), production methods, storage data, batch number, warehouse information, awards and/or recognition, and even a brief description of the flavor and aroma.
- Conscious consumption: The massiveness and high demand for organic and/or vegan products has led different industries to highlight the origin and type of production with greater relevance. Preferring sustainable products entails a great commitment that translates into a conscious and sensible purchase. It is important to reach this audience with products that meet these requirements in order to satisfy their needs and, at the same time, build a broader catalog.
- Highlight quality and authenticity: Details, stamps, fonts and other design and composition elements are extremely important perception signals when presenting a product on a shelf. A sophisticated and even fancy label reflects the producers’ concern for their bottles and their contents. If you are part of this market, do not leave this element aside, as it can be crucial to the success of your product.
- Influential factors in the buying decision process: Not only the price is a determining factor when making a choice on a shelf. The label may be even more important in favoring one product over another, since, as we mentioned earlier, it reflects the quality of the bottle and conveys the identity of the brand. The details and information contained can make that the one that the consumer wants to purchase.
In conclusion, the flavor, aroma and experience that each wine offers are not the only factors that can define its success. Every detail of the image is crucial, and it is extremely important to have the information that consumers need.
If you are a wine producer and need help labeling your products correctly with appropriate messages and with the identity you are looking for, make sure to contact me. The image and information that your wine conveys can make the difference between success and failure. Make sure your labeling is up to par with your production!