Wine, a beverage that has accompanied us since time immemorial, has been more than a simple delight for the palate; it has been an integral part of history. In this sense, Mulled Wine, a preparation dating back to ancient Rome, emerges as a fusion of tradition and sensory pleasure.
Allow me to share with you a recipe that pays homage to this deeply rooted practice, perfect for winter festivities.
- 1 bottle of quality red wine (I recommend a robust wine like Cabernet Sauvignon, preferably Hospitality Series from VOS)
- 1 orange (sliced)
- 8-10 cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (adjust to your preference)
- 1/4 cup brandy (optional)
- Additional fruits, such as apple slices, to customize to taste
- Start with the red wine in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Squeeze half an orange into the saucepan and add the slices, cloves, and cinnamon sticks.
- Add brown sugar to sweeten the mixture.
- If you wish to explore further, incorporate brandy as an optional touch.
- Bring the mixture to a gentle boil and then reduce the heat. Allow the flavors to meld for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve hot and garnish with orange slices or additional fruits.
Recommended Pairing: Soft cheeses and nuts
When enjoying Mulled Wine, elevating your experience with a suitable pairing can make your celebrations even more special. We recommend accompanying this delightful beverage with a careful selection of soft cheeses and a variety of nuts. This combination offers a symphony of flavors that will enhance the spiced notes of your Mulled Wine and add an interesting texture to each sip.